Re: Ricoh CDRW (CD-ReWritable) drive

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Lawrence Chim wrote:

> Does Linux support the new Universal Disc Format (UDF)?
>
> ISO9660 have several limitations:
>    File names must be only in capital letters , A - Z.
>    File names are limited to the DOS 8 + 3 format.
>    No more than 8 directory levels.
>    Only legal character besides letters is the under score (_).
>
> UDF does not have the name and directory restrictions that ISO9660
> imposed.
>
> How do people deal with the long file name problem in ISO9660?

Mkisofs supports RockRidge and TransTables which together resolve all of
the above issues for *nix machines, although DOS systems don't get the
full benefit of RockRidge extentions because of its ignorance of them. I
always use the -R and -T options when I build an image and the resultant
CD comes out just fine.

Luck,

Dwarf