Re: lpr: unable to get official name for local machine (fwd)

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, J.P.D. Kooij wrote:

:
:On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
:> For what it's worth, I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3 about a week ago on a
:> server that is authoritative for a few zones ... no problems at all.
:
:I forgot to mention the following: I let the install script change my
:existing setup, did you do this too?

I believe I did - it certainly has the "new" style named.boot, etc.

:
:> I realise this doesn't assist you in solving your immediate problem, but
:> I'm not so sure that the Debian package is to blame..
:
:Well, I'm not really authoritative on bind matters, but I thought that on
:previous ( < 1.3 ) installations, you could issue "nslookup localhost"
:and it would work then. Now I get:
:
:  calypso# nslookup localhost
:  *** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: Non-existent host/domain
:  *** Default servers are not available
:

Here's what I get when I execute 'nslookup localhost':

Server:  endor
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:    localhost.cfni.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

Notice that I did defy the package default of specifying the local IP
address as a nameserver in resolv.conf and instead left it as 0.0.0.0,
as the first edition BIND book suggests.  I have no idea if this matters
:) (I also would not call myself a BIND guru).

I also see that I have a localhost entry in my primary SOA zone file ...
and I don't have a named.local file, which named.options seems to expect
to exist.  It looks like I may have gotten lucky :)

If you like I can send snippets of my zone files. etc. if that would
somehow be helpful.

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff