No support of BIOS power management for SCSI disks?

Hi,

I am running Debian 1.2 currently.  My ASUS motherboard supports
APM.  When I turn on the HDD power saving in the BIOS setup I don't
see (or should I write 'hear' :-) that any of my 2 SCSI disks is
turned off after a specific idle time.  So, I guess the BIOS only
supports IDE disks, right?

Is there any other way to tell my system that it should turn off
the disks if they are idle for more than let's say an hour?  Is
there a command at all to shutdown a SCSI disk?  Maybe something
like
 echo "scsi turnoff-single-device 0 0 1 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Or do you guys think it's better for the disks anyway if they are
left on all the time?  I heard that the most stressing times for
HDDs are the spin-up and spin-down times.  Any comments?

Thanks in advance,
 Andy.
 Andy Spiegl, PhD Student, Technical University, Muenchen, Germany
 E-Mail: spiegl@Appl-Math.TU-Muenchen.de
 PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9