Re: Connecting terminals

>     >> How many terminals can I connect to my PC using the 4 standar
>     >> serials ports?.
>
>     Kevin> As many as you have serial ports to connect them to.  While
>     Kevin> a standard PC can support 4 serial ports, almost all only
>     Kevin> have two physical ports on the back of the PC.  To get any
>     Kevin> more than that, you'll probably want a multi-port serial
>     Kevin> board.  Linux supports quite a few different types;
>     Kevin> however, the only one I've used is the BB2016 from Boca.
>     Kevin> It's a 16-port board with RJ48 (10-conductor) connectors
>     Kevin> (others have RJ45 (8-conductor) or DB25 connectors).
>     Kevin> RJ48's and DB25's are best if you're thinking of connecting
>     Kevin> modems as well as standard terminals.
>
> Another way to connect a large number of terminals to a Linux box is
> to put an Ethernet NIC in the Linux box (if there isn't one already)
> and then connect a terminal server to the Ethernet.

"bin there, dun that" using Digiboard PortServer II's.  I wasn't all too
happy with performance, though....  And the price is pretty outrageous
compared to a Boca BB2016.

Digiboard PS2 - 16 port = $2000 (Canadian)
Boca BB2016 - 16 port = $300

Of course, for an extra $800 per 16, you can upgrade the PS2 to max of 64
ports....  But for about $800, I can buy "el-cheapo" used PC's, drop a
BB2016 into them, install Linux, and spend less money than the PS2's....

If you ask me, the Boca boards are a good deal all around....

But, if you want to buy Digiboard PS2's, I've got two "like new" one's
sitting right here that I'd really like to "unload"....

later,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst
Edmondson Roper CA