Problems upgrading to 1.3

I am having problems upgrading to Debian 1.3 with the latex-packages. I
know that I have to purge the old packages and it works fine despite for
the babel-package. I get the following error-message when i "dpkg
--purge --force-depends  babel":

mother# dpkg --purge --force-depends  babel
(Reading database ... 27160 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing babel ...
Purging configuration files for babel ...
Building new format(s) without babel support using install-fmt-base(8)
/var/lib/dpkg/info/babel.postrm: install-fmt-base: command not found
dpkg: error processing babel (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
 babel
mother#

... So I cant proceed with the installation of the new packages :(
Anyone knows help?

Thanx, Gernot