Re: Is xdm required?

On 4 Jun 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Is it possible to upgrade to 1.3 without installing xdm?
>
> Dwarf writes:
> > Yes. Why do you ask?
>
> Because every X discussion I've seen here recently clearly presumes that
> xdm is being used, and because the last time I upgraded my 1.2 installation
> I was forced to create a dummy /etc/init.d/xdm to get the install to
> complete.

Well, that makes the issue clearer. You can't install X without also
installing xdm...it comes in xbase...but you are by no means forced to use
it. Startx for instance is also provided and is a perfectly good way to
start X. During the installation you will be asked if you want to boot
with xdm and in a second question you will be asked if xdm should be used
to start the xserver. If you answer no to both of these questions you will
NOT be forced to use xdm.

If this doesn't fix things for you, please feel free to ask more pointed
questions.

Luck,

Dwarf