Re: Connecting terminals

> How many terminals can I connect to my PC using the 4 standar serials
> ports?.

As many as you have serial ports to connect them to.  While a standard PC
can support 4 serial ports, almost all only have two physical ports on the
back of the PC.  To get any more than that, you'll probably want a
multi-port serial board.  Linux supports quite a few different types;
however, the only one I've used is the BB2016 from Boca.  It's a 16-port
board with RJ48 (10-conductor) connectors (others have RJ45 (8-conductor)
or DB25 connectors).  RJ48's and DB25's are best if you're thinking of
connecting modems as well as standard terminals.

> How can I configure Linux for this?

Check out the Serial HOWTO for more info on all of the above.

You can find that as /usr/doc/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.gz or on the Web at:

http://www.li.org/Resources/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

Later,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst