Re: Newbie

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Rick Morrison wrote:

:Just installed Debian 1.3.  Am a UNIX newbie as well as a Debian newbie.  It's up and running .... but ....
:
:1. Can't TELNET in to the system running it.  Sez 'connection refused'.  Can't even telnet into itself!  TCP/IP is up and running as I can TELNET out.  Can ping it, etc...

Are you reverse name served?  If not, the Debian default is to not let
you in.  If you don't like this behaviour (For exmaple, you have no
control over reverse lookup maps) then edit the file /etc/hosts.deny and
comment out the "PARANOID" line.  Better would be to modify it, like
this:

# /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the system.
#		   See hosts_access(5) and /usr/doc/net/portmapper.txt
#
# Example:    ALL: some.host.name, .some.domain
#             ALL EXCEPT in.fingerd: other.host.name, .other.domain
#
# The PARANOID wildcard matches any host whose name does not match its
# address.
ALL EXCEPT wu-ftpd: PARANOID

This lets unconfigured systems ftp into our server.

:2. Any suggestions as to steps for getting X up and running?

I'll leave this to the X gurus, which I am not.

:Thanks ... sorry for the bandwith waste.
:
:Rick Morrison
:Wayne State University
: