Re: Problems with X

> hi Lamar, I had something similar happen to me.  The problem is in your
> /etc/X11/Xserver file the last line should contain the following:
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> The reason why you are not getting anything on tty7 is that you are not
> starting your xserver.  I hope this helps.  Just for grins do a ps-aux to
> see if xdm is running.
> Paul

Hi, Paul.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the problem.
I think that you meant to say that ':0 lamar /usr/X11R6/bin/X' should
go into /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  At least this is the format of the
entries in that file.  When I put it into /etc/X11/Xserver, it seems
to have no effect, and even when I add it to xdm/Xservers and try
starting 'xdm -nodaemon' to test xdm, I still get a blank screen on
tty7.  (btw, xdm isn't running normally.  I changed /etc/X11/config to
skip starting xdm since X will run without errors but give me no
screen.)

Lamar
--
Lamar Folsom