How to upgrade to 1.3?

I get my internet access through a freenet which doesn't provide any SLIP/PPP
services.  This means that I have to use minicom to download packages; Is it
possible to upgrade to Debian 1.3 using this method?  Also, there's a 45
minute time limit and I only have a 14.4 modem.  This means that it's
impossible for me to download some of the big packages like Emacs.  Are there
versions of these big packages that are split up into smaller pieces?
Thanks.

Adam Klein
aklein@scn.org