Re: Networking Win95, Debian Linux and Cable Modem

1) If you don't have the IP masquerading howto, I mirror the Linux
Documentation Project at http://www.wtop.com/LDP/

2) I use the following setup to get around the above:

a) I run apache on the Linux box that is connected to the Internet with
cached proxy service enabled. This allows the other machines to be booted
to Linux or win and access web documents with a common cache. Netscape
seems to run better with a local cache, but now I can delete it at will
since the reload is at ethernet(not internet) speed. This even works with
secure(https) documents.

b) For other services, I telnet to the connected box and run from there.
If you need to get files for dos/win, run samba on the linux box and put
the files into the 'shared' directory. If you do this with a local login,
you can be transferring files to/from your 'X:' drive even while that
crappy Microsoft OS is crashing and rebooting. I have set up a few
commercial networks this way. The users typically run 95 workstations and
it allows me to telnet into the Linux server from my home and install
files without bothering them.

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Ross D. Gardler wrote:

> I have two machines, one is a Win95 machine, one is a Linux machine.
>
> The Linux machine has a cable modem connection to the Internet.
>
> I would like to get the Win95 machine talking to the Linux Machine and to the Internet via the cable modem. How do I do this?
>
> The Linux machine has two Ethernet cards and I have managed to get it to recognise both but I can't seem to get it to talk to the Win95 machine. I only have one IP address for the two machines, so do not know what to do with the second.
>
> Any pointers?

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +