Re: making 16bpp the default in X

On 1 Jun 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> Douglas L Stewart <douglas@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > What do I need to do to make 16 bpp the default in X?
>
> You can edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config and remove all the other modes.

Actually, this is what I tried originally and it doesn't work.

> If you are running xdm, you can edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and add
> -bpp 16 to the command line.  If you are using startx or xinit, you
> can set up an alias.

I don't run xdm because the X server (3.2A, 3.2 is just plain unusable) is
really flaky with a CT65550 and it's like there's a random chance every
time I start X that it's just going to hang and not let me out of it (a
hard reboot is the only way).

The alias sounds like it might be the only way to go in my current
situation.  Seems kind of lame though. :)

-douglas