Re: Debian quality

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Randy Edwards wrote:

> > compared to upgrading Debian 1.2 to 1.3, it sucks.  To all the kind
> > folks who've spent many long nights making Debian Linux a quality
> > product, thank you.
>
>    I have to agree.  After switching to Linux I'm constantly impressed
> with everything about Debian (I ran SLS and then Slackware before).  The
> only thing unimpressive about my setup is the operator/sysadmin's lack of
> knowledge. :-)
>
>    And, speaking of that, can I ask a stupid question?  Okay.
> What/where/when is Debian 1.3 going to be released?  I'm using 1.2,
> getting upgrades through the net with dselect in its default setup
> pointing at debian.org and the stable, non-free, and contrib
> subdirectories.
>
>    I read a fragment of one message somewhere that 1.3 is actually in the
> frozen subdirectory; is that true?  If I were to make my dselect point at
> stable, non-free, contrib, and frozen would that cause the upgrade?  Or
> should I wait until it's moved from frozen to stable (anyone know if/when
> that'll be?)?

Actually the directories you'd point dselect at are frozen, non-free, and
contrib.  We're almost ready for release, just ironing out a few more
kinks and figuring out what to do about the latest CERT advisory about
libXt.

>    As a Debian newbie who's never gone through an upgrade process, I'd
> appreciate any wisdom, and details of standard procedures that anyone
> could shed on this process.

First thing to do is download and install the ldso, libc5, dpkg, and
dpkg-ftp packages from 1.3 by hand (dpkg -i <packagefile>).  You may also
want to upgrade perl by hand, although I think that problem has been
squashed.  Run dselect, update, select (the man package became man-db and
the modules package became modutils, be sure to purge the old packages).
Toggle between install and config until you stop getting messages about
packages being installed in the wrong order, maybe 2 or 3 times for a
1.2-1.3 install.  Make sure you allow dpkg to replace /etc/init.d/boot if
it asks, some of the boot order changed slightly.  In all, I found that
the upgrade I did on my 1.2 machine went well, and I upgraded over a
modem.

|                    |      Your friends will know you better in the     |
|   Scott K. Ellis   |   first minute you meet than your acquaintances   |
|   storm@gate.net   |         will know you in a thousand years.        |
|                    |                    -- Illusions                   |