Re: Debian FTP Installation through Internet (fwd)

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Boris D. Beletsky wrote:

> Can somebody help this guy. Problem is that pppd tells him that
> kernel lacks PPP support - I told him that he should recompile the
> kernel but seems like it didn't work. I think I remember that there
> was some other reason that pppd would act that way.

This error is also produced when the tty that pppd is trying to access
refuses said access for one reason or another. One of the reasons outgoing
ppp will do this is, if a getty is active on the port being used. Another
is if the port being used is the wrong one, like say the one used for the
mouse port. Each of these can cause failures that report "no ppp support
in kernel".
I have also heard a report of problems with ppp because the 1.3 system
seems to want the ttyS ports to belong to the "dialout" group, but pppd
belongs to the "dip" group. In this case, either changing pppd's group to
"dialout" or adding the "dip" group to the "dialout" group should fix the
problem.

Luck,

Dwarf