Problems configuring fetchmail

     My current system is debian 1.2.4.  I use smail version 3.2-3 as
my MTA and popclient version 3.05-3 to retrieve mail.

     I have installed bo on a separate partition.  Bo includes the
same version of smail, but popclient has been replaced with fetchmail
version 3.8-0.

     When I try to retrieve mail with popclient, I get the following
message:

bob:vc-4:bob>fetchmail
fetchmail: 7 messages (3 seen) at hilliard@post.metrolink.net.
skipping message 1 not flushed
skipping message 2 not flushed
skipping message 3 not flushed
reading message 4 (1753 bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to (null) failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from post.metrolink.net

     As far as I can tell, smail is configured identically in both
partitions.  (I have run smail -bP CONFIG >file in both partitions,
and diff shows the files to be identical.)

     My .fetchmailrc file is:
poll post.metrolink.net proto pop3 user hilliard password mypassword

     My .poprc file (that works with popclient) is:
server post.metrolink.net proto pop3 user hilliard password mypassword

     I have studied the manpage without finding what I'm doing wrong.

     Can anyone point out what I'm missing?

Bob