hdb trouble

I just upgraded to frozen. I rebooted and I noticed syslogd and kmsg took
a long time to load. Then I had some trouble reading /dev/hdb(my linux
drive) and I found this in /var/log/messages:

May 20 20:33:03 macrae kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
May 20 20:33:03 macrae kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
DriveStatusError }

My machine froze soon after this and a reboot had trouble reading hdb.
Also /hdb emitted a clicking sound repeatedly.
I was eventually able to reboot linux.

Can I expect my hdb to fail soon? Could this have anything to do with the
upgrade

Thanks for any ideas
John