changing file perms. in single user mode

Hello Debian users,

I guess this is a dumb question but I just can't see the answer:

Yesterday a added another hard disk to our production server that is
proudly running Debian 1.2. I wanted to have /tmp and /var/tmp
mounted in a second disk so I created my ext2 filesystems and
mounted them under /var/tmp and /tmp after editing /etc/fstab. I was
in maintenance mode (single user mode), mode that I entered with
"shutdown now".

After the new filesystems were mounted I wanted to set the permissions
of /tmp /var/tmp to be the same as the old directories in the / and
/var directories respectively so I did a:

chmod a+w,o+t /tmp
chmod a+w,o+t /var/tmp

Well, after I did a "ls -ld /tmp" and "ls -ld /var/tmp" the new permissions
showed up just fine. However, after I rebooted the server to go into
production again, permissions of /tmp /var/tmp were as before. I set
permissions again now in multiple user mode and everything is fine now.

This is not the first time this happens to me. A couple of weeks ago
I re-partitioned my first disk and had the same problems. I had
to set permissions while in multiple user mode to have things
working properly.

What's going on here? Is there anything I don't know about working
in single user mode?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

E.-