Re: Re[2]: Can't start xsession, help

Also check /var/log/xdm-errors errors prior to the xsession actually
starting are in this log.  Once the xsession is initiated logging errors
goes to ~/.xsession-errors.

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Zachary Payne wrote:

>      Good question, ask your dog!, I always ask my dog my computer
>      questions!  He always answers!!!! I know it sound silly but it really
>      works!!!!!!!

> Subject: Re: Can't start xsession, help
> Author:  "Jens B. Jorgensen" <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> at Internet-SMTP
> Date:    5/19/97 10:42 AM
>

> Sergey Avvakumov wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have the following problem - after "successful"
> > login in the xdm login window xdm starts xsession
> > but it immediately terminates and I see xdm welcome
> > again. I'm running Debian linux, installed less
> > than month ago from one of mirror-debian ftp sites.
> > I was trying to set up PPP with dynamic IP address,
> > and for some stupid reason commented out line in
> > /etc/hosts with name of my PC and it's IP
> > address and then rebooted it. After doing it I can't
> > start xsession. Actually X starts executing /etc/X11/Xsession
> > file - I can see root window color, which is
> > set up from there, for a second, but it won't open xterminals
> > and quits. I guess X now considers computer as
> > a "foreign" host, and it's host-control terminates the
> > session. But then I logged in from alt console and
> > edited /etc/hosts file back as it was, but X behaves
> > the same way, terminates 1 second after starting.
> > Could anybody help with this?
> >

> Check for a file called .xsession-errors in your home directory.
> Error messages generated when you run X should go here.
>
> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com
>

> --

L8R,

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html