Re: More diald woes!!!!!

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Ben White wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Thanks to those of you who responded to my last desperate cry for help.
> I am one step closer in getting my setup working.  Currently I use a
> Slackware distribution with kernel 1.2.13, but want to upgrade to Debian
> to avoid the commercial distributions, and because of its sophisticated
> package management.  Because of my specific requirements I must have
> demand dialing ppp connectivity (which I have working with 1.2.13
> slackware).  Here is my current state of affairs:
>

> 	0) I am using Debian 1.2, kernel 2.0.27 (or close to that
>
> 	1) can connect with commandline invocation of pppd

Would this be pon or pppd connect etc?

> 	2) diald installed, and tries to bring up the link appropriately
>
> 	3) chat dials and logs in, pppd is started
>
> 	4) from modem lights the remote is sending packets and pppd is
> 	   not responding

What does ifconfig say at this point about ppp0?

> 	5) after 20 sec diald times out pppd and kills it
>
> 	6) the ppp.log file then prints
>
> May 14 00:30:12 whitehouselocal pppd[658]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
> May 14 00:31:12 whitehouselocal diald[387]: pppd startup timed out. Check your p
> ppd options. Killing pppd.
> May 14 00:31:12 whitehouselocal pppd[658]: Terminating on signal 2.
> May 14 00:31:12 whitehouselocal pppd[658]: Failed to open /dev/ttyS1: Interrupte
> d system call

This tells me that pppd is trying to gain controle of ttyS1 which is
wrong.  Even though you said that you only have debug in your ppp.options
file you have told pppd to use this tty on the command line or in the
diald options file.

>From the diald man page:

	      WARNING:  Note  that  some pppd commands
              should  not  be  specified,   not   even   in   the
              /etc/ppp/options  file, because they will interfere
              with the proper operation of diald.  In  particular
              you  should  not  specify  the tty device, the baud
              rate, nor any  of  the  options  crtscts,  xonxoff,
              -crtscts,  defaultroute,  lock,  netmask,  -detach,
              modem, local, mtu and proxyarp.  Use the equivalent
              diald commands to control these pppd settings.

It seems what you have is diald in control of the tty.  It starts pppd and
waits for pppd to start xferring packets with the remote host.  pppd is
waiting to get controle of the tty, because it was told to do so
someplace.  Because pppd seems to be stuck diald kills it and attempts to
redial.

I hope this helps.

L8R,

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html