Re: how to safely install libc6

Caution:  Some of this stuff is guestimating the libc6 changes.

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On 15 May 1997, Ed Donovan wrote:
>
> > I have not installed libc6 yet, and right now my compiles fail. All
> > the binaries generated give "No such file or directory" errors,
> > because they can't link, I believe. I hesitate to go ahead and install
> > the libc6 packages, though, if things might become more unstable. I'd
> > like to build a new kernel at the moment, and wouldn't want to do so
> > with a C library that wasn't ready for prime time.

ld.so has nothing to do with compiling.  I suspect the problem here is
either the "-L /usr/lib" type entries in the Makefile are wrong for
library search path for the compilers "ld" linker (not ld.so) or the
software you are trying to compile has been developed with libc6 in mind
or you have the new compiler which may have default changes to libc6
linking instead of libc5.

Since libc6 is going to be the standard very shortly, it's very possible
that you are compilling libc6 dependant code.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
but isn't hamm supposed to be mostly, if not all, libc6 software?

> it's safe to have the shared libraries for libc6 and libc5 installed
> at the same time, just as it was safe to have both libc4 and libc5
> installed. It only gets complicated when you want to do development for
> both libc5 and libc6 on the same machine.

I believe that installing hamm (unstable) would insure that the 2
development environments are seperate but equally accessable, since it is
the intermediate release between libc5 and libc6 standards.

I also suspect that libc5 and libc6, like a.out and ELF, will be
co-existing on systems for some time before libc5 is finally completely
phased out.

Bottom line:

Check your Makfiles and gcc/ld man pages for references to libc6 changes.

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html