Re: How do I kill jobs?

> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Edward McKnight <emk@kindra-78.eng.sun.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I kill jobs?
> To: aruiz@debian1.sssys.com, paul@braille.uwo.ca
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> This answer invariably comes up on Unix-related lists.
>
> This answer suggests that you use a howitzer to blow away what might be
> only a field mouse.
>
> kill -9 is a *last resort*. Study up on signals.
>
> Start with no value at all; if that kill doesn't work you progress
> through stronger and stronger signals until finally, if all other
> signals have failed you reluctantly decide that the field mouse is in
> fact utterly resistant. Then you go for the howitzer.
>
> Lots of programs written for the Unix environment will trap various
> signals. An extremely common one is -3 (KILL, the same as ^C from the

                                         ^^^^^^^
Whoops! whoops! Caught by my own too-fastness! KILL *is* -9. Urk.
Shoulda been QUIT.

#define	SIGHUP	1	/* hangup */
#define	SIGINT	2	/* interrupt (rubout) */
#define	SIGQUIT	3	/* quit (ASCII FS) */
#define	SIGILL	4	/* illegal instruction (not reset when caught) */
#define	SIGTRAP	5	/* trace trap (not reset when caught) */
#define	SIGIOT	6	/* IOT instruction */
#define	SIGABRT 6	/* used by abort, replace SIGIOT in the future */
#define	SIGEMT	7	/* EMT instruction */
#define	SIGFPE	8	/* floating point exception */
#define	SIGKILL	9	/* kill (cannot be caught or ignored) */
#define	SIGBUS	10	/* bus error */
#define	SIGSEGV	11	/* segmentation violation */
#define	SIGSYS	12	/* bad argument to system call */
#define	SIGPIPE	13	/* write on a pipe with no one to read it */
#define	SIGALRM	14	/* alarm clock */
#define	SIGTERM	15	/* software termination signal from kill */
#define	SIGUSR1	16	/* user defined signal 1 */
#define	SIGUSR2	17	/* user defined signal 2 */
#define	SIGCLD	18	/* child status change */
#define	SIGCHLD	18	/* child status change alias (POSIX) */
#define	SIGPWR	19	/* power-fail restart */
#define	SIGWINCH 20	/* window size change */
#define	SIGURG	21	/* urgent socket condition */
#define	SIGPOLL 22	/* pollable event occured */
#define	SIGIO	SIGPOLL	/* socket I/O possible (SIGPOLL alias) */

The above is from Solaris but *should* be the same as Linux.

I think the preferred sequence is: no value, -15, -3, -9.

Shoot me if I'm wrong, please ;)

--emk