Re: How do I kill jobs?

Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> How do I list all the jobs, in HP-UX or Solaris, I do ps -eaf and
> it lists everything, but I don't think is the same in Linux.  I'm
> just guessing i way to change the setting on Xwindows by killing
> Xwindows, modifying the XF86Config file andrestarting Xwindows.
> Am I going in the right way?

I don't think so.  In linux you get all the processes with ps -ax.
There are, however, a lot more options.  You might read the manual page
with `man ps' :)

If you are running xdm (get an X-Windows login screen to login right
away after starting your PC) the way to stop it is
- switch to a virtual console, e.g. by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 (*)
- login as root
- stop xdm by typing /etc/init.d/xdm stop
- do your configuring
- check your new configuration with startx (don't use xdm for testing,
  it is much harder to stop if things go really wrong)
- if it works, exit the Xsession
- restart xdm typing /etc/init.d/xdm start

(*) This is not mandatory, but more convenient.

Read every document you can find on configuring X beforehand.
It is not bad idea to create a runlevel that does not start xdm, in case
to have to reset when _really_ screwing up X.  Anyone know why such a
run-level isn't defined by default?

Hope this helps,

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032