Re: Adpkg (was Re: How to trick debian into thinking a package is installed)

Thanks, Craig -

    Craig> if you install dpgk again before removing adpkg, nothing will
    Craig> break:

    Craig> dpkg -i dpkg_1.4.0.8.deb dpkg -r --force-remove-essential
    Craig> adpkg

    Craig> I've successfully removed adpkg from at least a dozen systems
    Craig> like this.

That's very good to know, will do.

    Craig> I used adpkg for a while - i really like the way it's dselect
    Craig> scans the binary directories first and builds a list of
    Craig> packages to install, and i also like the way it configures
    Craig> packages immediately. Unfortunately, it needs some dependancy
    Craig> ordering so that it doesn't try configuring a package before
    Craig> all packages it depends on are configured - which leads to
    Craig> having to run Install about a million times and also manually
    Craig> install some packages. There are other problems with adpkg as
    Craig> well.

I hadn't been aware of that stuff; it's interesting.  (I wasn't sure
what, if, or how much adpkg was doing for the standard dpkg & dselect
commands.  Adpkg says it replaces & provides dpkg, but dpkg's files are
still listed in dpkg.list, and its status is 'installed'; I haven't know
what to consider whose.)  Is there a doc source you know about, or is
that from the source or debian-devel, or general smarts?  :-)  Maybe I
could bone up on adpkg before I remove it.

    Craig> adpkg shows a lot of promise, but it needs more work.

(Not just for Craig; he's helped enough :) Is there still work being
done on adpkg, or are the ideas being moved into the deity project or
some such?

Well, I'm chattering a bit, those are just browsing-level interest
questions, I know what I need to know practically now.  Thanks again,
Craig,

Ed

--
Ed Donovan					ed@capecod.net