Re: latex/databases

On Fri, May 09, 1997 at 08:58:01AM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
> sailer@sun10.sep.bnl.gov (Tim Sailer) writes:
>
> > You should take a look at MySQL also. It should do what you want,
> > and is extremely fast too. Quite a few of us here on the mailing
> > list use it already.
>
> Thanks, but I wanted to stick to free software, if possible, and my
> impression was that MySQL is not.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the subject of databases, are any of these remotely compatible
with Oracle? (3.3.2.0.0). I'm required to use Oracle for
a database subject I'm studying at uni, but would prefer
to use something compatible at home, but none of Postgres,
mysql (when I got it working; I can't remember how to start
the server now!) or mSQL will accept the create table commands
given, complaining about the datatypes. I understand this
might be an SQL-standard deficiency though.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.