Re: How to trick debian into thinking a package is installed

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Can someone tell me how I can trick debian into thinking that a
> package is installed?

Get hold of the unofficial package "equivs-1.0.deb-unoff.src.tar.gz"
from "http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig/debian.html"; and have a look at
it. This is a small hack i have been trying to fool "dpkg" in
believing that certain packages are already installed by simply
editing the "Provides:" line of the package's control file. It has
some rough edges and needs to be improved a lot but i think this
should be done someone who knows such a thing better than i do!?
Anybody interested in making it an official Debian package?

I made this package because i wanted to install Thomas Esser's LaTeX
distribution "teTeX" separately to take advantage of his update shell
scripts without worrying about Debian's package management. Not that i
don't appreciate Christoph Martin's fine work in making a "teTeX"
package for Debian! Only fools (like me obviously) wouldn't want to
use his fine packages! ;-)
                                   Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de