Re: stable or not stable?

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Rick Jones wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 1997, Eduardo Goyanes wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm writing to satisfy my curiousity on why the llinux kernel 2.0.30 is in
> >
> > the unstable archives. When a.b.c  and b is even the file is stable.
> >
> > what is the best way to upgrade the kernel for a linux Debian v1.2?
>

> A good question.  I'd also like to know what the actual current kernel
> version is, since I see people on other list's using 2.0.35?

Anyone running a 2.0.35 kernel has a processor with time travel
capabilities ;-)

The latest stable/release kernel is version 2.0.30 and will be the kernel
released with Debian 1.3 (bo). The latest unstable/development kernel is
around 2.1.35 or higher and will probably never become part of a Debian
release. Debian's stable directory is currently pointing to 1.2.14 (rex)
and will continue to point there until the release of 1.3 at which time,
1.2 will fade into history and 1.3 will become stable.

Debian releases travel from unstable thru frozen to stable while those
terms when applied to the Linux Kernel have quite different meanings. The
2.1.x kernels will never become "stable" but will magically metamorphize
into the 2.2.x kernel.

In point of fact, in neither case does the idea of stable vs unstable
provide any true hope of security. Both the 2.0.x and the 2.1.x series
have their "good" versions and their "killers". Debian does not mandate
the kernel you run on your system. It does try to provide the latest
functional kernel with every release, but with its method of dealing with
kernel headers you can typically run a wide range of kernel versions.

Waiting is,

Dwarf