Re: stable or not stable?

"Eduardo Goyanes" <edco@anayma.mit.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing to satisfy my curiousity on why the llinux kernel 2.0.30 is in
>
> the unstable archives. When a.b.c  and b is even the file is stable.

Maybe version numbers suggests stable version, but 2.0.30 certanly
isn't one. It introduced few memory problems, and pre-2.0.31 patch is
almost required. Also pre-2.0.31 still has few problems, so if you
don't need 100Mbps on ethernet I'll suggest sticking with 2.0.29.

Debian stable tree contains stable release of lots of packages, and
kernel is one of them. It is now about 3 months old, and next stable
will come at Monday, 12th. In the mean time, between two stable
releases, only security and/or global system stability fixes are
accepted in that distribution tree, and 2.0.30 kernel doesn't belong
to either.

> what is the best way to upgrade the kernel for a linux Debian v1.2?

Get it from nearest kernel source mirror, unpack it in /usr/src, and
compile it. Or try the one in unstable/frozen debian tree.

--
Tomislav Vujec                         Tomislav.Vujec@CARNet.hr