Netscape locked up console.

     Last night I was running Netscape 3.01 Gold, looking at files on
my local drive and the machine stopped responding to the keyboard and
mouse buttons.  The prockmeter was running, monitoring the ppp line
to my ISP, it was running fine.  When I telneted into the system and
did ps -a and top, netscape was missing but was still being displayed
as active on fvwm2.  This happened once before quite a while back.
The only thing that I could think to do was kill the pppd by
unplugging the modem, letting it set for a while to flush as much of
the casch as possoble then reset it.  After this the system booted
fine with the exception of complaining about the file system not
being unmounted properly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.