Re: Posting restrictions

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

>      When I first subscribed to debian-* lists, I was required to
> agree to a number of anti-spam restrictions before being allowed to
> post to the list.  Violation of this agreement would result in being
> removed from the list of authorized posters, and perhaps other
> penalties.

The debian mailing lists were moved and recreated sometime during
February, and I volunteered to handle list management duties in early
March.  As a result of those transitions (and at the advice of Bruce
Perens, who preceded me in my present role), there no longer exists a
"spam" filter.  I'd be willing to consider this if there is suitable
request from the crowd.

>      There was an obnoxious posting this morning from some creature
> offering guanteed credit, and I have seen a few similar messages from
> time to time, and there is the evangelist who posts a long sermon
> about once a month.  Is the authorized posting list still being used
> since the list server was moved?  If so, are these offenders being
> purged from the list?

Was that on the -user list?  I didn't catch it.  I've been on and off of
the user list, due to a 1.5 week vacation/training session and the job
pressures that result.  Now that life is settling back down, I'm planning
on keeping up with -user regularly.

If anyone is offended, bothered, or in any way disturbed by a post, please
feel free to contact me.  I'd be happy to handle the process of pestering
the poster and the persons responsible for allowing the post to happen.  I
do purge obnoxious posters if they are on the list (I did so last week,
after getting no response to a simple question).

If there are other actions you'd like me to take as "Minister of
Information" (aka mailing list manager), please contact me.

Pete

--
Pete Templin, Debian List Administrator  listmaster@lists.debian.org