Re: ideas about moving Debian to another hard drive

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> Ken Gaugler wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, that time is here again, when I need more disk space.  I
> > have been thinking about moving my Debian to a larger drive, so
> > I can take out the smallest drive to make room for a big one.
>
> Here we go again.
>
> You're gonna get endless messages with cpio and tar flags and all
> kinds of advice.
>
> GNU "cp" has an archive switch, "cp -a", that does what you want.

I agree with Rick M. on this one, although I would suggest adding the -x
option. This way if there are any additional mounted file systems, like
user, or home, then they will be left off the copy and can be mounted as
before on the new system.

Luck,

Dwarf