Re: GIF for KDE

Yes.  I saw the posting to the kde list by Alan Cox, I believe it was.  I
wonder if you, or another Debianite, could tell me just how easy it would
be to attach to a tcp port and send/recv commands to take advantage of
that security hole?  I know a programmer would have no trouble exploiting
this.  What about the common Joe?

And don't flame me.  I think it should be fixed as well, ofcourse.  I just
want to get an idea of how threatening it is.  If anybody can do it by
telneting to the tcp port that's a major problem.  If it takes a special
program to take advantage of it, then that's not something I would expect
to see happen to me before the fix is done.

I didn't get the whole dialog that Alan and he were having but I assume
the guy will make haste in fixing the problem after being shot down like
that.  Evidently he didn't know Alan was a kernel developer.

Anyway, thanks for the info.  I got it from incoming at master.

On 6 May 1997, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Rick Jones <rickya@siservices.net> writes:
>
> > What package is libgif2 in?  It's needed to install the kde packages.
>
> You know there is a huge security hole in kfm....(which the author
> apparently doesn't care to fix...) It uses a tcp socket to send
> commands (like delete file) to it's slave processes...So essentially
> (if you're on the net) anyone in the world can delete files on your
> machine...
>
> "libgif2" is the name of the package. Look for it in
>    hamm/hamm/binary-i386/devel
> (I don't know if it's been installed yet.)
>

> Steve
> dunham@cps.msu.edu

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net