Re: Is this a bad, bad sign? (harddisk problem?)

A couple of times my machine has been brought down by a power failure and
I have got similar messages to the original poster, during the file system
check after bootup failed. I have all my files on a single partition, plus
swap and dos. Kernel 1.0.2? from memory, xdm doing logins. I boot from a
custom boot disc although I also tried an older kernel boot disc.

This has not been a problem up to now, I just ran e2fsck as root, as
promted during the boot failure, and selected the default actions when
prompted.

But the last time this happened, when I ran e2fsck (-n -o from memory -
whatever it prompts) it seemed to fix the problem as before (changing some
counts, etc), but when I then tried a reboot, it failed just after
starting all the daemons (the fs was passed clean).

Seems to be that my root filesystem is mounting read-only so the X startup
fails. Xdm does not fire up, but I can log in as root from the console,
but reboot and shutdown do not seem to work (some commands do), so I have
to power down and run e2fsck again - with the same result.

As my system is vitually unusable (I am writing this from work), I
apologise for the sparse info, but can anyone give me any clue as to how I
can get the system up, so I can read the info and see what's gone wrong? I
have some stuff I would prefer not to lose, so I would like to avoid a
total reinstall.

Ed