Re: Selecting a pci ethernet card.

Our card is a brand new 3c905TX in a Gateway PPro system, which arrived
on my desk March 30.  I installed Debian 1.2 ... it found the card as
soon as I installed the "3c590" module from the modules disk.  Here is
the info from my card, which may or may not be helpful:
"3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xff00, 00:60:97:98:34:09, IRQ 9"
Also, the card generates an "Unknown PCI device (10b7:9050).  Please
read include/linux/pci.h" warning in the messages - I haven't gotten
around to doing anything about it.

The card is indeed PnP, but that's not the end of the world.  If you got
the card new it should have come with a utility disk from 3com which
lets you fiddle with the settings.  Also, Becker's driver is supposed to
be aware of the various registers and deal with them.  In my experience,
PnP network cards are ok as long as you don't reboot to Win95 or some
other PnP OS now and then, as they like to mess with the settings.  i
had that problem with a 3c509 - taking it out of PnP mode with the
utility disk solved the problem.

Nathan