LBA??? Re: Is this a bad, bad sign? (harddisk problem?)

An additional note: When I was using LBA mode I had a lot of trouble with
the file system slowly becoming unstable over time.  If you're using LBA
you might want to use standard mode when you replace the file system.  I
haven't had any problems like I was in LBA mode.  I posted on this about a
month ago I guess.

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Sam Ockman wrote:

> Okay, I ran e2fsck with a -f option and everything works out fine.  No
> problems...  But when I run it with -c I get the same error messages I got
> below... Shouldn't my ide drive be able to remap the bad blocks for me
> automatically?  What's going on?  It seems like the -c option won't fix
> things for me...it didn't seem to add anything to the badblocks inode at
> least....
>
> Thanks for the help...
> -Sam
>
> (By the way Rick...I'm sure this has nothing to do with trafshow...try
> running e2fsck with a -c and let us know what happens.)
>
> Message from Rick Jones (rickya@siservices.net):
> >
> > When I recv'd this error the first time (out of two so far) I ran e2fsck
> > and it checked out fine.  This only happens to me when using trafshow
> > since upgrading to frozen.
> >

> > On Sun, 4 May 1997, SbL wrote:
> >
> > > umm.. that looks as if you file system is corrupted.. that usually
> > > happens when someone turned off your computer or something equally
> > > horrible.. when that happened to me, next time i rebooted my
> > > MBR thought i had like 6 disk partitions.. i didn't :) in any case,
> > > my file system was trash and i couldn't clean it with 'fsck'..
> > > i probably went the cheezy way and reinstalled Linux -- but then again
> > > some ppl can't do that because they are running networked computers
> > > that ppl actually use :)

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net