Re: help: telnet knows about NIS, ftp doesnt

I again supplied insufficient information. When I ftp to the debian
machine, I get an ftp prompt. If I enter a non-existant login-name, it
then prompts for password and then refuses entry. If I enter a user
whose name is listed via NIS, he is immediately refused entry before
prompting for a password. A locally created user has no problem
logging in. Transcript below:

brannon@palm ~ : ftp palm
Connected to palm.usc.edu.
220 palm FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
Name (palm:brannon): brannon  [NIS-defined user]
530 User brannon access denied.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> exit
?Invalid command
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
brannon@palm ~ : ftp palm
Connected to palm.usc.edu.
220 palm FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
Name (palm:brannon): bobo [fictitious user]
331 Password required for bobo.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
brannon@palm ~ : ftp palm
Connected to palm.usc.edu.
220 palm FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
Name (palm:brannon): guest [debian-system-defined user]
331 Password required for guest.
Password:
230 User guest logged in.

--
o============o Sending  unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE) to this address
 Legal Notice  is indication of your consent to pay me $120/hour for 1 hour