Re: SCSII card question

> 	I just purchased a HP 4C scanner. I really bought it tohook up to a
> 	system that already has a SCSI interface. So I am left with a card
> 	supplied with the HP that I don't need in that syste, So I was
> 	wondering if I could use this card in a Debian box to support SCS
> 	disks?
>
> 	he card is realy stnge looking it's triangular. With 1 2 postiotion
> 	switch assembly on it. This may be to set the SCSI ID, but if so
> 	wouldn;t it need 3 postions to get 0 -> 7? Perhaps it's to set the
> 	intrupt. I'm not sure. It has s Symbios Logic chip on it.
>
> 	Needless to say all the docs talk about is Windoze. Is anyone familiar
> 	with this card? Can I use it with debian? I supect it may be a
> 	PlugnPlay card.

Last I heard, it's not supported by Linux.  But I got that from the
Hardware-HOWTO which is dreadfully out-of-date.

I've got a Win95 box and Linux box here.  I have a regular SCSI card in
the Linux box, and the HP/Symbios Logic card in the Win95 box.  I used
two SCSI cables to connect the HP 4C scanner to both machines at the
same time.  Of course, I had to set the host adapters to different
addresses.  It actually worked!  Sometimes, I have to reset one computer
to use the scanner after using the scanner from the other computer,
but overall, it's sort of neat.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim