Re: Question: how to switch from an OLD Slackware system to GNU/Debian?

On 3 May 1997, Terrence M. Brannon wrote:

> >The only good way of doing this is back up as much stuff as you think you
> >absolutely need and a little bit more. Reformat the hard disks and
> >reinstall debian from scratch.
> >
> >Slackware is not upgrade friendly, particularly the older version.
>
> I should have given a bit more information. Since the user disk space

Especially since I'm in the middle of doing a successful upgrade on a
slackware 2.x system to Debian right now, and I'm going to do a Redhat
3.0.3 system later.

Phillip Hands <phil@hands.com> has also done this before with an in-place
system, and has started on a HOWTO started on how to do it.

Sometimes a complete reinstall isn't possible.  After all, I'm in
California and the machines I'm upgrading are in Mississippi.

-douglas