Re: emacs giving fatal error on new installation

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Lack of a host name will cause several useful parts of the system to
> segfault. This is why there is a default value provided during
> installation (among other reasons).
> Segfaults are by no means only obtained by faulty hardware. Faulty
> software can produce them as well. The key point in this particular
> problem was that two earlier machines had the same software installed on
> them and they produced no such errors. If software runs on one machine and
> not on another, it is a pretty fair assumption that it is faulty hardware
> on the other machine. This is not always the case, but it makes a good

You're absolutely right.  That's why I indicated that it was more than
likely the hardware.  I just figured I'd let him know that it could be a
software error, and not corrupt sofware, but a configuration problem.
Just in case he installed and made some change he feels wouldn't cause it.

Until I experienced the hostname problem I never would have thought a
system configuration problem would cause a segmentation fault.  Which
perhaps I should report as a bug.

Have a good one,

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net