Re: emacs giving fatal error on new installation

This is just something for the think tank.  I thing Dale is more than
likely correct, but a few months ago I was getting segmentation faults
whenever I would try to run man (maybe some others I don't remember right
now).  The problem was that for some reason when I installed linuxconf, I
believe, and changed files back manually it stopped setting my hostname.

I don't understand it but when I set the hostname it stopped giving me the
error.  I just wanted to throw another possibility in for you to think
about.

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 1997 rick@info.load-otea.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've just switch from Slackware to Debian 1.2 on a AST Premmia
> > SE/66 and we are getting a fatal error (11) segmentation fault when
> > we run emacs. This is our third system the put Debian on and the first
> > time this has happen. Any suggestions on where we've could of gone wrong
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> This kind of error is usually the result of faulty hardware. There are
> several things you can try. From the BIOS setup, you should be able to
> turn the caches off. This is the most probably location for the problem.
> Many new machines use overclocked memory in cache to get the high speeds
> needed. This and other timing problems can show up with Linux when MSDOS
> programs work just fine. Try disabling cache memory and see if the problem
> goes away.
>
> Luck,
>
> Dwarf
> --
>
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 656-9769
>       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
>       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308
>
> _-_-_-_-_-_- If you don't see what you want, just ask _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>

> --

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net