Re: emacs giving fatal error on new installation

On Thu, 1 May 1997 rick@info.load-otea.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've just switch from Slackware to Debian 1.2 on a AST Premmia
> SE/66 and we are getting a fatal error (11) segmentation fault when
> we run emacs. This is our third system the put Debian on and the first
> time this has happen. Any suggestions on where we've could of gone wrong
> would be appreciated.

This kind of error is usually the result of faulty hardware. There are
several things you can try. From the BIOS setup, you should be able to
turn the caches off. This is the most probably location for the problem.
Many new machines use overclocked memory in cache to get the high speeds
needed. This and other timing problems can show up with Linux when MSDOS
programs work just fine. Try disabling cache memory and see if the problem
goes away.

Luck,

Dwarf