Re: syslogd will not start

Moin Ken!

> > This actually means that -n is an argument to start-stop-daemon

> > Now it's an argument for /sbin/syslogd.
> >

> This still hoses my system.

Sure!

If a program is executed at boot time which doesn't put itself in
the background the system will wait for its termination.

> > but please read the manual again to find yout what -n does.
> >
> > IT TURNS OFF AUTO-BACKGROUNDING.  This means that YOUR SYSTEM WILL
> > WAIT UNTIL SYSLOGD DIES - which won't be the case for sure.

> According to the manpages,
>
>        -n     Avoid auto-backgrounding. This is needed especially
>               if   the  syslogd  is  started  and  controlled  by
>               init(8).
> My system, originally a 1.1 system, has syslog starting from the
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd file.  This is init, as far as I know.

No! This is not init, it is init.d.

If you want it controlled by init, then you have to put a line similar
to the next in /etc/inittab:

sy:123456:respawn:/sbin/syslogd -n

Joey

--