RE: slight preoblem with man

On 02-Apr-97 G. Kapetanios wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Lately I had a slight problem with man. I have man-db v 2.3.10-33 and
>manpages 1.15-2 installed from unstable. Whenever I install a new package
>and run man,  man says that it updates its database. Lately
>It produces warnings concerning dangling symlink. The problem seems to
>concern mainly the file undocumented.7.gz  in .../man/man7 .However as
>more pckages are installed more warnings come up when the man database is
>updated. I reinstalled the man-db and manpages packages . The first time
>only undocumented produced warning. Today I got the following
>
>Updating index cache for path `/usr/man'. Wait...man: warning:
>/usr/man/man7/undocumented.7 is a dangling symlink
>man: can't open /usr/man/man1/netscape.1: No such file or directory
>man: warning: /usr/man/man1/netscape.1: bad symlink or ROFF `.so' request
>man: warning: /usr/man/man7/undocumented.7 is a dangling symlink
>man: can't open /usr/man/man1/lclint.1: No such file or directory
>man: warning: /usr/man/man1/lclint.1: bad symlink or ROFF `.so' request
>done.
>

>lclint has come up befiore too.
>
>Can somebody tell if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong ??
>
>                                       Thanks,
>                                            George

What's up, George:

What it seems to be is that the man-db update makes a change.  To fix it I just
went to /usr/man/man7 and cp un...7.gz un...bak then gunzipped un...7.gz.  Probl
em fixed.  Ofcourse you can run symlinks -d -r /usr/man to delete the dangling l
inks and forget about it too.  That is just a man page that states that there is
 no doc's on the requested subject etc...  If you just delete the links it will
just say man page not found like the others.

See ya.

Rick <rickya@siservices.net>
E-Mail: Rick <rickya@siservices.net>