Dpkg gone haywire?

Hello I am new to this list and I am joining to hopefully recive help
with a realy strange error that I am getting from dpkg. so without
further wait here are the error messages

This first error is from trying to configure all package's that where
pending. But as a side note gimp-smotif gave me the same error upon
install.

Setting up gimp-smotif (0.54.1-5) ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing gimp-smotif (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ax25-util:
 ax25-util depends on source; however:
  Package source is not installed.
dpkg: error processing ax25-util (--configure):
dpkg: error processing bash (--configure):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting configuration.
 gimp-smotif
 ax25-util
 bash

This error was reported when I tried to remove a package.

Removing doc-debian ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing doc-debian (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
 doc-debian

I am at wits end on this. I have tried everything I know to do includeing
trying to reinstall dpkg but to no awail... my last and final thougt is
that this is being caused by the /usr/info/ directory being locked for
some reason and there for unaccessable by dpkg/install-info.

Is there any way to "unlock" the directory or even to see if it realy is
locked ... I have exausted every Idea that I know of and still I get this
error. At this point I am tempted just to make a new filesystem and start
over.

Any thoughts and or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin Poorman