Re: Procmail recipe.

The "FFrom " and "rom " words are indications of file locking problems.  If
you go to http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/ and do
a search with a word ffrom you'll find that many others have had these
problemes too.

Here's a small excerpt:
  "FFrom " is generally an indication of a locking problem: procmail is
  running into another process writing to the mailspool (possibly another
  copy of procmail).

I use procmail at our school so I don't know if the procmail(s) and mail user
agent (Elm, pine ...) are conflicting each other in Debian. Chapter 4.3 in the
Debian policy manual tells about mail processing on Debian systems, see
http://www.debian.org/Documentation/policy.html/ch4.html#s-mail.

It might be helpful to check how the locking is done in procmail and your mail
reader. The commands 'procmail -v' and 'elm -version' tell what the locking
scheme is. Don't know the command in pine.

Craig Small wrote:
> I found that the 'From ' that appears at the start of the message was losing
> or gaining some 'F's (ie FFFrom or rom ).  Needless to say, I've turned
> procmail off.  But is it a bug or have I done something wrong.  If it is a
> bug, I'll put a bug in for it.  The procmailrc file looks like
[most of the correctly looking procmailrc cut]

> :0:
    ^
Maybe the lock file needs to specifed correct name? Just guessing...

> $MAILDIR/deb

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland