Diskless install

Hi,

I just installed Debian on my 486 and thought I'd try to do it without
disks. I got as far as the point were it wanted to install the kernel, but
couldn't go any further. Is there any reason why there is no drivers.tgz
and perhaps kernel.tgz?

For those who are interested I have got it down to a two disk install.
What you do is download linux, root.bin, base1_2.tgz and get loadlin.exe
(loadling package is where I got it from). Then you put the 3 files on
a dos partion and run:

loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin <options>

Linux will load and run just like if the rescue disk was booted (cept
faster ;>) Then alt-f2 and run

mkdir jnk
mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /jnk      <-- sda1 is your dos partition

The install will find the base1_2.tgz file by itself and everything will
go very smoothly till it wants to install the kernel, you need the rescue
floppy (Arrg) and then the drivers floppy (Arrg some more).

The only things the Debian people could do to improve this is to put
loadlin.exe on the ftp server and to modify the install so you don't need
the two disks..

I was also thinking that with a iso9660 fs driver in the kernel a CDROM
install could be done with either 1 disk or none! Even if no cd driver was
in the kernel, by copying the files above from the cd to the dos partion
an install could still be accomplished.

Thoughts?

Jason