Compiling---svgalib not seen by gnuplot

One of the joys of Linux is to be able to compile a package, or even the
kernel.  I have compiled the beta releases of gnuplot regularly over the
past two years.  The most recent release, pl. 325, has refused my efforts
several times.

Most problematical, to compile one has to tweak the parameters of the
makefile, to get gnuplot to use the vga library.  No problem in the past,
but I haven't been able to figure this one out.  I can get the system to see
the svgalib, but the binary cannot run in a vga (linux) terminal, unless as
root.

Probably I made some mistakes.  I tried adding /usr/lib to the
/etc/ld.so.config.  Is this not needed?  The error message having to do with
permissions is in the gnuplot sources,

I tried looking at the debianized sources of some packages, but they are
kludged up to an extent I cannot follow them.  I would appreciate hearing
from anyone who can explain simply how to get the linux terminal to compile
and be useable.  This package is extremely useful, and I'd like to be able
to keep compiling as I have been.

Alan Davis
--
 Alan Eugene Davis     	Marianas High School      15o 8.8'N       GMT+10
 adavis@saipan.com     	AAA 196 Box 10,001        145o 42.5'E

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one nonexistent."            ------ Lord Raleigh