Re: Why is PPP so screwed up!?!?!

> On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, CoB SysAdmin wrote:
> >
> > Gee, that's *&^@$& hillarious, since *I'm* the ISP and I configured
> > the dial-up server exactly the way specified in the PPP HOWTO.
>
> well, then you must have done something wrong. Either in your dialin
> server config, or in the config on the machine dialing out.
<snip>
    (suggestion to use diald)

> you're right on this point - you don't need diald for what you want to set
> up.

and you don't need ppp as a kernel module, either - KISS. Did you get my
e-mail on the need to send a modem "AT" command (at&s0 on my modem, but
this isn't standardized for all modems) to set DSR on so that the modem
won't hang up between the time the chat script ends and pppd takes
over?  Your highly detailed diagnostic output seemed to me to indicate
that the pppd's on each end were in the process of negotiation, but I'm
not experienced enough in these areas to be sure.

BTW, I'm sure this list will eventually resolve your problem in spite of
the tone of your postings. I understand that debugging problems like
this can be very frustrating (especially when Bill M$s and his henchmen
make it look so easy), but you catch more bees with honey than with a
ration of sh*t.

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
Someday soon I really  MUST find a way to
piss away a LOT of bandwidth on this .sig