Re: Upgrading from slackware to debian

In message <[🔎] 199703200132.MAA19957@mgiant.anu.edu.au> you wrote:

>Slackware _does_ have a package tool (called, I believe, pkgtool :-)
>albeit simpler (less sophisticated, less capable) than those of
>Debian or Redhat.
>Also Slackware _does_ have interim upgrades, both for new software
>versions and to fix security holes.  However with more limited packaging
>and versioning etc, these are much less convenient than, say, Debian.

IMO calling pkgtool a "package tool" is, ummm, a slight exaggeration:
a "package tool" is somewhat more than a dialog-based front-end to tar.

We should, however, be grateful to Slackware: it makes people appreciate
Debian.

Also, it's a great "first Linux" for those who like to learn swimming in
the deep end of the pool.

:)
--
Dimitri