Re: VIM Editor

William Chow <williamc@uclink2.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Mr Stuart Lamble wrote:
[...]
>> There shouldn't be. Which version of vim do you have installed? When I
>> changed the compilation procedure to configure vim with X support, I
>> created two versions - one for 1.2 (which, at the time, was slated to
>> use 3.1.2), and one for unstable (shortly to become 1.3).
>>
>Well, I think I'm using one of the more current stable versions, the one
>that came with the current stable (1.2). I did not use unstable. Is vim
>supposed to be dynamically linked to the Xaw library? I and another user
>have reported that an ldd does NOT in fact show it to be dynamically
>linked to any X11 libraries. Is there one that has X support and one that
>doesn't? That's where the confusion was.

4.5-3 doesn't have X support. 4.5-4 and later should. If you're using
stable, you'll be using 4.5-3, hence the lack of X support.

If you do an ldd on the vim binary in 4.5-4 or later, it _should_ come up
with a dynamic link to libX11, libXaw, etc., etc. If it doesn't, it's a
bug in the package.