Re: dselect error (more)

Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Bob Clark wrote:
>
> > It is "leaving" packages that were *not* installed.  Things like pakages
> > that were present before this instance of deselect.
> This is what I read on my screen, but to leave a package which wasn't
> installed should take 5-10 seconds?? That's the time it takes me to leave
> the room but I thought my Debian box should be a little bit faster when
> doing quiet easy things. What means "leaving". If "leaving" means to
> copy each package to each partition on my box the time it tooks would
> fit my expectation, but I think leaving is something other :-).
>
> I thought it may be a hint on any error, if a process which should be done
> quiet fast takes a much longer time.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong
>
>    Andreas.

Two things.  If I remember correctly (from your previuos posts) you have
your packages on an nfs-mounted partition; and a troublesome one on an
HP machine at that.  There could be many things not related to deselect
or Linux that may be affecting your system.  Second, I imagine that
dselect is doing other things besides announcing that it is "leaving"
certain packages during this time.  I think 5-10 seconds might be quite
normal given your configuration.

How fast is your connection to the HP?
What is the load on the HP?
How well has nfs been implemented on the HP?
How many packages does dselect have to look at?
What kind of load is on both these machines?
How much memory do you have?
Do you swap to a swap partition?
Is it local or nfs-mounted?

These are just a few things that might have an impact on your system
performance.

--Bob